Tuesday 27 July 2010

First day in Iquitos

I'm in Iquitos! Sorry I haven't written sooner, I've been pretty busy. Left Lima on Sunday morning and had the most gorgeous flight across Peru. We flew all the way over the Andes to a place called Tarapoto. For ages there were just huge brown mountains, some with snow on top and then slowly they started getting greener as more and more trees appeared until we were flying over the beginnings of the rainforest- so amazing! We stopped in Tarapoto for about 45 minutes and then flew on to Iquitos. The first thing I noticed was how hot and humid it is compared to Lima.
I'm staying with Dr Salazar who arranged the placement and his wife. They were out having lunch so I went to join them. They were in their club by the banks of a small tribuitary but right next to the Amazon river. The views were so amazing!
After lunch we went back to the house where I met the three other girls staying here, Lucy, Sara and Erin. None of them are medics but Sara is doing work experience at the hospital so we are together the whole time. They are all really nice and it was such a relief to find out I wasn't alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment