Tuesday 17 August 2010

Goodbye Iquitos!

I can´t quite believe it, but tomorrow is my last day in Iquitos! I´ve had such a fun time here I´m really sad to leave. Erin left on Sunday but on Saturday 3 more people arrived- Will and Sophie are medics from Swansea and Kate is Will´s girlfriend and is volunteering here at a manatee rescue centre. They´re all lovely and it´s nice not to have been here by myself at all! On Saturday I went into hospital in the afternoon and then we all went out in the evening, for drinks and then to a club until about 3.30. It was fun though the the men were quite hard work- all wanting to dance with the gringas but a bit creepy! We just danced together. Then on Sunday we had a really lazy day, in the afternoon going to the hostel with the swimming pool like last weekend. Since then I´ve been back in hospital for two days, back in paediatrics.

It is funny here, in some ways I feel like I know my way around and fit in but then I still stand out like a sore-thumb! All the motocarro (aka rickshaw) drivers at the hospital know where I live as for a while I was the only non-Peruvian there. I go to get one home and they all shout out "Napo cuadro 6" (my address)! But I feel like I have some good friends in the hospital now which is nice and for the last few days I have been much more useful, filling in forms for the interns and helping decide which children can be discharged.

This afternoon we all went to meet Kate at the manatee place. They are so sweet- even the babies are pretty huge. We helped feed one who was attacked by a machete but is now doing really well. We then went to feed the fish. They farm them there, in huge ponds in the rainforest. The fish were huge- over 2 metres long! We decided we may have found the lockness monsters nearest relatives!

Got to go, we´re going out for drinks on the bank of the river to celebrate my last night. Will write when I can.

p.s. I have put some more photos up.

No comments:

Post a Comment